Skilled Nursing Homes
How To Choose A Nursing Home
When you and your loved one have reached the point of considering a nursing home, it's important to find the right fit. Generally, nursing homes offer 24-hour care and supervision for people with chronic health needs, or those who require intensive rehabilitative care.
A good nursing home offers a full array of individualized services. Here are a few simple things to look for during your search for a quality nursing facility:
- Services and specialties that match the needs of your loved one
- Warm, friendly, and respectful interactions among staff, residents, and family members
- Respected and knowledgeable facility leadership, medical direction, and board members
- An inviting, homelike environment
- Recommendations from doctors, social workers, and family members of nursing home residents
To make it easier for you to compare nursing homes, you can print out a helpful checklist and bring it along on your visits to different sites.
American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging