Unity Health System Announces "Green Team" Initiatives
Unity Health System announced the formation of Unity Green Team, and the initiatives Unity is implementing to preserve the community, on Tuesday October 21st. The mission of the Green Team is to identify environmentally-friendly practices that can be implemented by Unity Health System employees at work, in their homes and neighborhoods. Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks joined Timothy R. McCormick, CEO of Unity Health System, and Robert Donahue, vice president of Corporate Services at Unity Health System, in announcing Unity’s “go green” efforts.
“Unity’s mission is to serve the community in ways that promote good health and well-being,” said McCormick. “Developing efforts to conserve our community’s environment and educating our employees about these practices are ways we aim to make a positive difference in the lives of those we serve.”
Unity Green Team is comprised of employees who have knowledge of energy conservation, recycling, reduction of waste, and the reuse of resources and materials. “Green measures” identified and in the process of implementation include:
• Methods to increase the recycling of paper, cardboard, plastic, metal and glass used at Unity facilities. Last year, Unity recycled 172 tons of these materials.
• Reduction of energy consumption by installing energy-efficient lights at facilities operated by Unity Health System, and educating employees to turn off lights and equipment not in use.
• Partnering with Imagine It… Fundraising Through Recycling. Supported by the Monroe County Department of Environmental Services, the organization assists in the collection and recycling of printer cartridges, cell phones, and PDAs. A portion of the proceeds collected by the organization will be donated to Unity to further its “go green” efforts. Imagine It collection boxes will be located at various Unity Health System facilities.
• Development of a car pooling system for Unity employees and promotion of “Unity Express”-- an RTS transit route that provides transportation between Unity St. Mary’s and Unity Park Ridge campuses.
• Refurbishing of computers and other equipment.
• Promoting the use of non-disposable beverage containers such as coffee mugs, the use of cardboard food trays made of recycled materials, and the reduction of single-serve condiments in Unity’s cafeterias.
Robert Donahue thanked staff members working on Unity’s green initiatives. “We’re pleased to recognize our Unity employees who have taken on the important mission of helping preserve our environment, and we thank our community partners for supporting this important task.”
“Green Fairs” to promote environmentally-friendly practices were held at Unity Hospital and Unity St. Mary’s Campus. In addition to Unity employees, community partners participated in the educational events, including: Finger Lakes Energy, LLC; Iron Mountain, Inc.; OfficeMax, Inc.; W. W. Grainger, Inc.; Broadstone Real Estate, LLC; Imagine It… Recycle It; Flower City Pest Elimination; Hill & Markes, Inc.; and Waste Management, Inc.
Unity Health System provides a complete network of health care services from the Unity Park Ridge Hospital Campus in the town of Greece, the Unity St. Mary’s Campus in Rochester, and at numerous other sites throughout Rochester and western Monroe County. Services include inpatient and outpatient hospital care and surgery, a family birth place, women’s health services, chemical dependency and mental health, physical medicine and rehabilitation, adult day health and home health programs for older adults, retirement communities, child care, and laboratory services, among many others.