Team Unity shows off their Thrive green before the 2014 Chase Corporate Challenge.
What is Thrive?
Thrive is Unity Health System’s employee wellness program. We’re committed to helping our workforce stay motivated, healthy and active as they provide health care how it should be. Check in on this page for updates on special events for employees, as well as tips to achieve wellness in all aspects of your life. We want you to thrive!
Color Me Ugly 5K
Good Food Collective
On-site yoga classes
How to THRIVE this summer
Upcoming Event: Color Me Ugly 5K
Rochester’s annual Ten Ugly Men Festival marks its 25th anniversary this summer and invites families and friends of all ages to visit and take part in the Color Me Ugly 5K color fun run.
When: Saturday, July 26 at 11 a.m.
Where: Genesee Valley Park.
Following the tradition of other color runs across the country, Color Me Ugly promises to be a vibrant, exciting experience for walkers and runners of all ages. Participants will receive a white Color Me Ugly t-shirt to wear for the event, as well as a headband and color packet.
Participants in the Color Me Ugly run will also receive admission to the Ten Ugly Men Festival, which features a full day of music, food and fun—all included in the ticket cost. Proceeds from the event benefit non-profit organizations and charities in the Rochester community, including Unity’s Oncology Program at St. Mary’s.
Unity employees will receive a $20 reimbursement on the cost of the event. Full price is $40 if registered by July 18 and $45 from July 18 to July 26. Get the reimbursement form.
Click here to register for the Color Me Ugly 5K and read FAQs.
Good Food Collective summer shares
Thanks to those of you who signed up for fresh produce shares from the Good Food Collective. Shares will be distributed weekly beginning June 24 at the following locations and times:
Unity Hospital: Tuesdays, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
St. Mary's: Thursdays, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
EBHC: Thursdays, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
The Good Food Collective is sold out of their summer shares, but their website offers a great resource for cooking tips and recipes for your fresh produce all year long.
Next strength & stretch session starts July 7
While the cost of taking yoga classes in studios around Rochester can sometimes reach $20 per class, Unity offers a full eight classes—taught by certified instructors and held right at your worksite—for $20 TOTAL (that's $2.50 a class!).
Unity’s next session of stretch & strengthening classes run July 7 to August 29. There’s no better way to try out yoga and stretching classes to see how they work for you, or sign up to complement your current workout routine.
With a variety of class options and simple modifications, there are classes for every fitness level.
New this session: We are offering an OUTDOOR core strengthening class at the Village on Tuesdays at 5 p.m. and outdoor Energy Enhancers at Edna Tina Wilson on Wednesday mornings. There’s no better way to take advantage of the summer sunshine!
- Prana Flow – Edna Tina Wilson, 700 Island Cottage Road, Therapy Room, 4:45 to 5:45 p.m.*
- Toning & Stretch – St. Mary’s Campus, 89 Genesee Street, West Auditorium, 5 to 6 p.m.
- Sunrise Yoga – St. Mary’s Campus, 89 Genesee Street, West Auditorium, 6:30 to 7:30 a.m.
- Energy Enhancer – ACM Lab, 160 Elmgrove Park, Auditorium, 11:30 a.m. & 12 noon
- Energy Enhancer – Unity Hospital, 1555 Long Pond Road, Education Center, 12 noon & 12:30 p.m.
- Core Strengthening for Healthy Movement – The Village at Unity, 1471 Long Pond Road (Hospital Campus), OUTDOORS in Union Square, 5 to 6 p.m.*
- Energy Enhancer – Edna Tina Wilson, 700 Island Cottage Road, OUTDOORS in the North Courtyard, 10:30 a.m. & 11 a.m.
- Yoga Fundamentals – Unity at Ridgeway, 2655 Ridgeway Ave, 3rd Floor Physical Therapy Gym, 5:15 to 6:15 p.m.
- Energy Enhancer – St. Mary’s Campus, 89 Genesee Street, West Auditorium; Stretching at 11:30 a.m. & MELT at 12 noon
- Yoga Fundamentals – ACM Lab, 160 Elmgrove Park, Auditorium, 5:15 to 6:15 p.m
*Conditional classes- must have 5 registrants before June 27th
Visit www.inwardoffice.com/unityhealthsystem to register.
How to Thrive in Rochester this summer
- Enjoy some time exploring the historic Erie Canal on the Erie Canalway Trail, which winds its way through Rochester and the surrounding suburbs on its way from Buffalo to Albany. Take a stroll to explore the villages of Fairport and Pittsford, or hop on your bike to challenge yourself to pedal 10, 20 or 50+ miles on this flat trail.
- New York State boasts some of the most beautiful hiking spots in the East for adventurous athletes at any level. Day trips to Letchworth State Park, Watkins Glen or Ithaca offer views of spectacular gorges and waterfalls alongside your workout.
- Before you kick back on the sandy beaches of Lake Ontario, get your workout in by playing a game of volleyball or going for a jog. Running on sand is a great challenge; stick to harder, packed sand near the water to start, and then over time you can transition to running on loose, dry sand. If you’re new to barefoot running, take short jogs at a time, and be mindful of debris and hot sand!
Keep an eye on Fleet Feet’s summer events to set a new goal for yourself. Whether you want to try your first 5K, take on a triathlon or get an outdoor boot camp workout, Fleet Feet can help get you on your way.
Good Food Collective share pickups
June 24 - September 25
All pickups 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
Unity Hospital: Tuesdays
St. Mary's: Thursdays