Unity Health System and Rochester General Health System Name Board of Directors and Senior Leadership Team
Today, the boards of directors of Rochester General Health System (RGHS) and Unity Health System (Unity) named the team that will lead the new organization after the merger is finalized later this summer.
“Since we received approval from the New York State Department of Health last month, we have been conducting an objective and professionally guided process to develop the right organizational structure and leadership team to best manage the unified system as soon as we are officially merged,” said Bob Dobies, Board Chair, Rochester General Health System.
“As we have worked to do throughout this process, we will continue to be forthcoming with information and updates to our teams and the community. Now, given we have received clearance from the FTC, we have identified the leaders who will help guide the integration process,” said Michael Nuccitelli, Board Chair, Unity Health System. “These individuals are highly qualified and are dedicated to helping take the new system to the next level of clinical and operational excellence.”
The new Board of Directors and members of the new Executive Leadership Team will assume their roles immediately upon the legal closing.
Board of Directors
• Chair: Robert Dobies
• Vice Chair: Michael Nuccitelli
• Treasurer: Faheem Masood
• Secretary: Robert Sands
Executive Leadership Team
• Thomas Crilly, Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
• Don Felter, President, Housing
• John Glynn, Executive Vice President, Chief Information Officer
• Chris Mahan, President, Foundations
• Robert Mayo, M.D., Executive Vice President, Chief Medical Officer
• Michael Nazar, M.D., Executive Vice President, Chief of Medical Groups
• Robert Nesselbush, Executive Vice President, Heath Services Division
• Angela Panzarella, President, ACM Medical Laboratory
• Janine Schue, Executive Vice President, Chief Human Resources Officer
• Hugh Thomas, Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer
• Bridgette Wiefling, M.D., Senior Vice President, Chief Clinical Innovation Officer
• Wendy Wilts, Executive Vice President, Chief Integration Officer
Current system board chairs Bob Dobies (RGHS) and Michael Nuccitelli (Unity) also announced that current CEOs Mark Clement (RGHS) and Warren Hern (Unity) will serve as co-CEOs while a national search is conducted for a new chief executive officer for the new system.
The executive search is underway and is targeted to be complete before the end of the year. A CEO Search and Selection Committee will be comprised of board members of the new health system.
“For the past eight years, I have had the privilege of helping transform RGHS from a very locally-focused, hospital-centric organization to what is now a high-performing, fast-growing, integrated system offering a full continuum of care throughout the region,” Clement said. “The work I set out to achieve at RGHS has been accomplished, and it is the right thing to do to identify a new CEO to inspire and lead the vision for the new system.”
“Both Mark and I felt, early on, that the interests of a combined system would be best served by a new CEO who could quickly unite and engage our people as one team under a shared vision, mission, and values,” Hern said. “After 38 years with Unity, I’m proud of the system we built. We established differentiated health care services, and over the past five years we’ve experienced growth in multiple communities, with expanded facilities, a brand-new hospital, and continued international leadership in lab services. It is the perfect time to come together in strength with Rochester General, both for our organizations and for the community.”
The current CEOs were recognized for their continued leadership of their systems, as well as in the industry.
“Mark and Warren continue to play integral roles in shaping the new executive leadership structure,” Dobies said. “It was, in fact, Mark and Warren’s recommendation to our two boards 15 months ago that it would be in the best interest of the new organization to search for and select a new CEO upon close of the merger who could effectively unify the two organizations and cultures under a new shared vision.”
After the legal close, Clement and Hern will oversee different areas of the operation, to ensure continued progress and smooth operations during the transition.
Additional merger milestones were also announced. Next steps include:
• Legal close of the merger
• Announcement of the name of the blended organization
• Naming of non-clinical vice presidents and directors
• Engagement of physician leaders to design clinical organizational structures and select physician leaders for the new system
The merger between Rochester General Health System and Unity Health System was proposed by the two organizations in April 2013, was approved by the New York State Department of Health in April 2014, and received clearance from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission in May 2014. The systems are slated to complete all regulatory steps and formally merge in mid-July 2014.
# # #