Unity at Ridgeway Receives LEED® Silver Certification - First Medical Building in Rochester-area to Achieve Designation
Rochester, N.Y. (March 29, 2011) - Unity at Ridgeway, a state-of-the-art medical building located at 2655 Ridgeway Avenue in the Town of Greece, received LEED® Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). This makes the 120,000 square foot environmentally-friendly facility the first such building to achieve this distinction in the Rochester-area, and one of only 11 LEED certified medical buildings in New York. Broadstone Real Estate, LLC. (Broadstone) developed and manages the building and Unity is a major tenant.
"We find that designing, constructing and managing environmentally-friendly buildings is both economically and personally rewarding," said Amy Tait, CEO of Broadstone. "While energy savings are substantial, employees and visitors to Unity at Ridgeway also enjoy the benefits of improved air quality, comfort and health. It's a win-win for both developers and tenants like Unity."
“Going green is the right thing to do,” added Warren Hern, president/CEO of Unity Health System. “This is a significant accomplishment. We are making a difference in the health and environment of our patients, employees, and community.”
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is an internationally recognized green building certification system developed by the USGBC. It provides verification that a building is designed and built to improve: energy savings, water efficiency, CO2 emissions reduction, and indoor environmental quality.
Highlights of the green facility include:
• High performance windows and wall and roof insulation to reduce energy consumption.
• The use of a geothermal heating and cooling system to lower energy costs. During the summer, the systems pump indoor heat underground and draw on the lower temperatures of the Earth to cool a building. In colder months, the same process works in reverse, with heat from the ground being used to warm indoor air.
• Products such as paints, carpets, and wall coverings that were used were made with chemicals that limit the harmful impact on the environment and human health.
• The use of environmentally-friendly cleaning products that reduces the risk of exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals.
• The use of paper products and plastic liner bags made with recycled materials and the use of vacuum cleaners that operate at a lower sound level.
• Low-flow faucets and low-flow fixtures with infrared sensors are installed in the building’s restrooms to prevent use of excess water; lights use occupancy sensor controls to reduce electricity consumption; and instantaneous water heaters - which produce hot water only when needed – to reduce energy.
• Twenty-eight preferred parking spaces available for green vehicles.
• Native and adaptive plants – those that grow in an area naturally and plants brought into an area that adapt and thrive – are used to reduce watering costs and require less fertilizer and pesticides.
• Twenty-four percent of the materials used to construct the building contain recycled products, and 21 percent of the materials used were made within 500 miles of the facility. This reduces the environmental impact of transporting materials over a long distance.
• Bicycle storage for commuters and shower/changing areas for individuals that bike to work.
Unity at Ridgeway is the second largest medical complex in the Town of Greece after Unity Hospital. The Unity health services and programs in the facility are: Unity Diabetes Center, Unity Cardiac Rehabilitation, Unity Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Unity Spine Center, Unity Pain Practice, Unity Neurology & Rehabilitation, and Unity Ob/Gyn.
The engineering and design of the building was done by Bergmann Associates and Gardner Plus Architects, PLLC. LeChase Construction served as the construction manager.
About Unity Health System
At Unity Health System you’ll find the friendliest and most compassionate people dedicated to providing the best possible health care experience. We have over 70 locations in Rochester and Monroe County, including Unity Hospital in the town of Greece and the Unity St. Mary’s Campus in Rochester. Key programs include our Joint Replacement Center, Family Birth Place, Spine Center, Diabetes Center, Chemical Dependency, and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, plus the area’s most comprehensive range of services for older adults. ACM Medical Laboratory is the world’s fifth largest provider of clinical trials testing, with locations in western New York, York, England, and lab partnerships across the globe. Our shared commitment to delivering health care the way it should be is reflected in our 98% overall patient satisfaction rating.
About Broadstone Real Estate LLC
Broadstone Real Estate is a full service commercial real estate management and development company based in Rochester, New York. Through its affiliates, it currently owns and/or operates 85 properties in 21 states. Broadstone’s mission is to provide quality real estate services on a regional and national basis while providing a higher return to our partners and investors.