Healthy Heart Fair for Families on February 21st!
Caregivers and heads of household play a major role in their families’ lifestyle choices. The American College of Cardiology recommends caregivers learn about risk factors associated with heart disease, and be proactive with their own, and their loved ones’ heart health. Experts advise prevention and detection begins in early childhood, with annual blood pressure screenings beginning at age three, regular exercise, proper diet, and a smoke-free environment. Regular check-ups that include blood pressure and cholesterol screenings are recommended for adults.
With family heart health in mind, Unity Hospital, ACM Laboratory—a subsidiary of Unity Health System-- News 10 NBC, and The Mall at Greece Ridge are collaborating on an important preventive health event for the community. On Thursday, February 21, 2008 the organizations will host a Healthy Heart Fair for Families at The Mall at Greece Ridge, from 11:00 A.M. to 6:30 P.M. Unity Health System clinicians will provide information, and free screenings associated with heart health for both children and adults:
- Cholesterol screenings provided by ACM Medical Laboratory
- Blood pressure checks for children and adults; free children’s blood pressure guides
- Body Mass Index screenings
- Individual and group exercise classes
- Healthy diet tips
- “Listen to Your Heart”- registered nurses will help children listen to their heart with the use of a stethoscope
Two inspiring presentations at 1:00 P.M. and 3 P.M. by Rochester resident and former “Biggest Loser” contestant, Amy Zimmer
- Free videotaping of personalized “Messages from the Heart” that will be posted on www.unityhealth.org
- Giveaways and contests, including a chance to win an iPod ® Shuffle
In addition to the health fair, Unity Health System and News 10 NBC medical reporter, Robin De Wind, have collaborated on a series of reports that focus on heart health for adults and children. The reports will be broadcast on News 10 NBC at 5:00 P.M., from Monday, February 18 to Thursday, February 21,2008, with live coverage of the Healthy Heart Fair throughout the day.
Unity Health System is a 681-bed health care network serving the city of Rochester and western Monroe County. Services include acute care, psychiatry and behavioral health, physical medicine and rehabilitation, primary care and family medicine, continuing care, housing, laboratory, sleep medicine, and child care services.