Prepare Your Home for Your Return from the Hospital
It is important to have your house ready for your arrival back home. Use this checklist as you complete each task:
- Put things that you use often (like an iron or coffee pot) on a shelf or surface that is easy to reach
- Check railings to make sure they are not loose.
- Clean, do the laundry, and put it away.
- Put clean linens on the bed.
- Prepare meals and freeze them in single serving containers.
- Cut the grass, tend to the garden, and finish any other yard work.
- Pick up throw rugs and tack down loose carpeting.
- Remove electrical cords and other obstructions from walkways.
- Install night-lights in bathrooms, bedrooms, and hallways.
- Install grab bars in the shower/bathtub. Put adhesive slip strips in the bottom of the tub.
- Arrange to have someone collect your mail and take care of pets.
- Obtain a portable phone.