|Home > Joint Replacement Center > Lead Up Week|
Lead Up Week to Hip Replacement Surgery
Stop medications that increase bleeding
One week before surgery you will need to stop any medications that increase bleeding (Aspirin, Motrin, Naproxen, Vitamin E, etc.). Instructions for all medications, including blood thinners, will be covered at your surgical pretesting. If you have any medication questions, please contact one of the below:
- Surgical Pretesting: (585) 723-7738
- Orthopaedic Program Director, Deb Wellington: (585) 857-1808
Pack your bags
- Insurance card (even if you already provided), photo ID and copayment.
- Loose-fitting, comfortable clothing such as shorts and tops and flat shoes/tennis shoes.
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, deodorant, razor, etc.).
- Asthma inhaler.
- Please leave adaptive equipment (like a walker or reacher) at home.
- Do not bring any valuables (cash, credit card, etc.) except for your copayment.
- You can bring your cell phone and laptop.
The Day before Surgery
- Call (585) 723-7975 between 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. to receive your surgery arrival time. If your surgery is on Monday, call the Friday before.
- Eat a light dinner, and do not eat after midnight. This includes candy, gum, and mints.
- No alcoholic beverages after dinner.
- No smoking after midnight.
- You can drink plain water up to four hours prior to surgery.