|Home > Joint Replacement Center > Five Weeks Before|
Five Weeks before Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Prepare Your Home for Your Return from the Hospital
It is important to have your house ready for your arrival back home. Use this checklist as you complete each task.
- Put things that you use often (like an iron or coffee pot) on a shelf or surface that is easy to reach.
- Check railings to make sure they are not loose.
- Clean, do the laundry, and put it away.
- Put clean linens on the bed.
- Prepare meals and freeze them in single serving containers.
- Cut the grass, tend to the garden, and finish any other yard work.
- Pick up throw rugs and tack down loose carpeting.
- Remove electrical cords and other obstructions from walkways.
- Install night-lights in bathrooms, bedrooms, and hallways.
- Install grab bars in the shower/bathtub. Put adhesive slip strips in the bottom of the tub.
- Arrange to have someone collect your mail and take care of pets.
What to Bring to the Hospital
- Bring personal hygiene items (toothbrush, deodorant, razor, etc.); button down shirt; and flat shoes or tennis shoes. If you have adaptive equipment, such as a reacher, please leave them at home. You will need to bring a form of identification and your insurance information even if you provided them previously.
- You may bring your cell phone and laptop if you desire.
You will be given specific instructions regarding medications.
- DO NOT take medication for diabetes on the day of surgery.
- Please leave jewelry, valuables, and money at home.
- Makeup must be removed before your procedure.
- Remove nail polish.