About the Charles J. August Joint Replacement Center
The Joint Replacement Center plans a comprehensive course of treatment for our patients. We believe that you play a key role in promoting a successful recovery. Our goal is to involve you in your treatment through each step of the program. The program is designed to return you to an active lifestyle as quickly as possible. Most patients will be able to walk the first day after surgery, and move towards normal activity in six to twelve weeks.
Your team includes physicians, physicians’ assistants, nurses, orthopaedic social worker, patient care technicians, and physical and occupational therapists specializing in total joint care. Every detail, from peri-operative teaching to post-operative exercising, is considered and reviewed with you. The Orthopaedic Program Director will help plan your individual treatment program.
We offer a unique program. Each step is designed to encourage the best results leading to a discharge from the hospital two to three days after surgery.
- Dedicated nurses and therapists trained to work with joint patients
- Casual clothes (no drafty gowns)
- Private rooms
- Daily newsletter for joint patient and family
- Emphasis on group physical therapy
- Family and friends participating as “Coaches” in the recovery process
- Reunion luncheon for former patients and coaches
- Ongoing seminars available about joint health
- A dedicated web site with information for former, current, and future joint replacement patients.