Home  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map  |  Staff Tools  |  Classes  |  Newsroom

Unity Diabetes Community > Forum > Questions. We'll help you find the answers. > Thread

I have type2 diabetes what kind of diet should I beon?

Views: 223    Posts: 2
Last posted: 8 months ago by Joy at Unity
Jump in. It's easy.
Fast new user registration »
Returning User?
Continue the conversation »

Joy at Unity

Post to the Thread      Posted on 04/13/2014 21:44:11 From: 69.207.163.18
Dear Anonymous,
Following a low fat carbohydrate managed meal plan often best manages the high blood sugars of type 2 diabetes. A first step in meal planning is to use the plate method approach which is to fill half your plate with non starchy vegetables (about 1-2 cups salad, broccoli, green beans for example), 1/4 of your plate with lean protein foods (about 3 oz chicken, fish for example) and 1/4 of your plate with starches (about 1 cup potato, rice, pasta for example). It is also a good idea to prepare foods without a lot of butter, oil and use high fat condiments such as salad dressing and mayo sparingly. You may want to consider spacing your meals throughout the day for example 3 meals/day and maybe a between meal snack if you go more than 3-4 hours between meals. It is better to eat more frequent smaller meals that to go long periods of time without eating. I also would recommend that you meet with a dietitian or diabetes educator to work out an individualized meal plan that meets your needs. You can also find additional diabetes meal planning guidelines on the American Diabetes Association website at http://bit.ly/1eyJXE2
Anonymous

Post to the Thread      Posted on 04/11/2014 08:23:26 From:
I have type2 diabetes what kind of diet should I beon?

Jump Menu:  
Diabetes events and classes to help you get the support you need. Diabetes classes and diabetes events
December 22, 2014
5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone: (585) 368-4560
© 2013 Unity Health System, Rochester, N.Y.