Home  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map  |  Staff Tools  |  Classes  |  Newsroom

Unity Diabetes Community > Forum > Questions. We'll help you find the answers. > Thread

type 2 diabetic

Views: 734    Posts: 2
Last posted: 8 months ago by Joy at Unity
Jump in. It's easy.
Fast new user registration »
Returning User?
Continue the conversation »

Joy at Unity

Post to the Thread      Posted on 01/26/2014 13:17:11 From: 69.207.163.18
Hi Sultan,
Thanks for your post. It sounds like you are testing your blood sugars at home 3 times/day. The American Diabetes Association recommends checking your blood sugar two times/day: fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning (before eating or dinking) with a blood sugar goal of 70-130 mg/dL, and 2 hours after the start of a meal with a blood sugar goal of 70-180 mg/dL. A1c is recommended to be 7% or lower for people with diabetes. If you are able to obtain these blood sugar goals you will greatly reduce your risk of the complications of diabetes such as damage to the kidneys, heart, blood vessels, nerves and vision and circulation issues.

I would recommend you talk with your doctor before increasing or changing your dose of metformin. Your doctor knows your health history and is the best person to discuss changes to your medication and treatment plan.

It is best to follow a carb managed low fat meal plan to promote both reduction in your blood sugars and weight loss. The best way to do this is to use the plate method approach to meal planning: 1/2 your plate should be nonstarchy vegetables (~1-2+ cups), 1/4 of your plate lean protein ( ~ 3-4 oz chicken, fish, meat) and1/4 of your plate starchy foods ( ~1-1.5 cups potato, rice, pasta). Avoid fried foods and be very sparing with high fat condiments such as salad dressing, butter, margarine and oils. It may also be helpful to meet with a diabetes educator to develop an individualized meal plan that is right for you. Ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes educator or to a diabetes education class. If you are in Rochester you can contact Unity Diabetes and Endocrinology Services at 368-4560 to sign up for a class or to meet individually with a diabetes educator.

Best of luck!
sultan

Post to the Thread      Posted on 01/25/2014 17:15:47 From: 111.92.130.245
Dear Doctors/Readers,
My doctor advice me to test HB - HBA1C which comes 14.9 %
I am taking Glucophage 500mg/dl. In morning and 250mg/dl in lunch and 500mg/dl dinner . Total comes to 1000mg/dl(Glucophage). I took these tablets in between meal, I mean in middle of my diet.
And from last 10 days I am regularly testing my sugar three times a day 1= after one hour is 180/185mg/dl. 2= after 2 hrs test is coming 160/170 mg/dl 3= fasting test after every 8 hours is coming 119/125mg/dl
Please advice me is it OK or should I increase the dose?
How can I bring it to 90/100mg/dl in fasting?
My age is 60 years and my weight is 105 kg. And height is 5 ft. 7 inches.
FYI I am eating vegetables instead of red meat and heavy meal. And also planed and started trying to reduce my weight at least 15 kg.Within few months.
Also I am suffering from sciatica since last l7 years. I can't walk more then 5 to 10 minutes. Walking very slowly by taking rest after every 10 minutes.
Regards
SULTAN

Jump Menu:  
Diabetes events and classes to help you get the support you need. Diabetes classes and diabetes events
October 16, 2014
9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone: (585) 368-4560
© 2013 Unity Health System, Rochester, N.Y.