Dependent Term Life Insurance
There are four levels of coverage available. You may not insure your spouse for a higher amount than you have insured yourself, per New York State law.
You will be required to provide evidence of insurability for your spouse if you:
Our insurer will send you information about completing an evidence of insurability application. If your request is approved, coverage will begin on the date of approval.
- Elect spousal coverage for the first time – other than as a new employee or upon marriage;
- Elect spousal coverage at the $100,000 level
- Increase your spousal coverage by more than one level
For your children between the ages of six months and 19 years (or 23 if they are full-time students), you may choose from two levels of coverage:
Coverage for newborns to six-month-olds is limited to $1,000.
The Fine Print
- Because the Supplemental Term Life Insurance policy prohibits employees from being covered as both an employee and a spouse, you may not purchase spousal insurance if your spouse is already enrolled in Unity’s Supplemental Life Insurance Plan.
- On January 1 following the year you turn 70, your spousal life insurance amount will be reduced by 50%.
- There is a suicide exclusion for all Unity optional life insurance coverage.